Bulimia Eating Disorders
Bulimia is a severe eating disorder related with weight loss psychology. During bulimia your body will lose potassium, sodium and other important minerals, which will surely lead you to cardiac hazards. As ladies are weight conscious, more than 75% bulimia patients are female.
Weight loss programs, which offer you an easy way to control weight, are often the psychological starter of this serious eating disorder. Unfortunately, their claim is true.
There are other triggers. For example, a well-known Swedish swimmer, with several championships titles, told that the reason she started to get into this was the words a trainer gave her. You got to watch your weight he told her when she was 14 years old and close to join the Swedish swimming team. Ten years later she still have problems.
What is bulimia nervosa?
This is a potentially life-threatening, very serious eating disorder consisting of two phenomenon – binge-eating and then purging just to withdraw calories consumed. People wants to lose weight and they use unhealthy methods to rid the body off the calories such as: water pills, vomiting, enemas, fasting, extreme exercise or fasting. Purging after binge-eating just start to minimize weight or to control weight but gradually it become habitual and out of control.
What are the signs and symptoms of bulimia?
People having bulimia nervosa do not talk about their problem to each and every person. Sometimes even not to their families and close friends. Some bulimia symptoms are very elusive so that only a doctor can point out them. You would be surprised to know that underweight is not a symptom of bulimia and sometimes people with bulimia fear of being fat.
Diagnostic signs and symptoms of bulimia include:
• Odd eating behaviors
a) Skipping meals
b) Sudden and unpredictable dietary likes and dislikes
c) Increased diet soda intake
d) Use water as means to make vomiting easier
e) Chewing food excessively
f) Shortening of food
• They prefer to eat in a lonely place just to keep the secrecy about their eating habits. If you notice that someone goes frequently after each meal, most probably he or she is suffering from bulimia. After a meal they usually use the toilet for purging.
They use to eat large amounts of food, but you will never note any increase in their weight.
• Excessive, rigid exercise regimen
• Complex lifestyle schedules to get time for binge and purge sessions. They mostly use chewing gums or mints to cover vomit smell
• Preoccupation with weight loss, body weight, dieting and control of food. Person with bulimia usually wear baggy clothes to hide their body
• Callused or discolored backs of hands or finger joints
• Decalcified and discolored teeth with bleeding cheeks and gums
• Irregular bowel movements
• Irregular menstrual periods
Types of bulimia:
• Purging type of bulimia
• Non-purging type of bulimia
Effects of bulimia:
Some of the major effects of bulimia include:
• Electrolyte imbalance
• Inflammation of the jaw, salivary glands and esophagus
• Problems with lips, gums and teeth
• Irregular bowel movements
Bulimia Solution Treatments
Bulimia nervosa is a disease that usually affects a whole family. A mother and father will at first have great problems to realise what the problem is with their child. Then they will have a problem to get the child to realise there is a problem. After that a treatment can start to work, and it will take years.